Sunday, November 22, 2009

Why do I have to Justify?

I keep asking myself why do I have to justify myself when I tell people we want to have a baby. Yes people, I realize that I am only 23 years old and DH is only 24, but what does age have to do with anything? We've been married for 3 1/2 years, DH has a stable job as an officer in the Air Force, I will graduate in May (after nearly 6 years of being in school I might add). I will be 24 by the time we actual have a child and DH will be or or nearing the age of 25, not to mention we are financially stable with 0 credit card debt.

It seems that when people hear my age they start after me saying how I'm so young and we have time. What they don't realize is that we have been married for 3 1/2 years and we are ready for a child.

I don't know why but I get defensive when people start saying those things to me. Even my mom and sister say this sometimes but they know when to stop, but it really irks me when strangers start after it. They keep going on and on about "Young mothers in their 20's" and that is when I have to chime in saying that we are in our 20s but we are ready for a child. Then they say the above and then I have to justify why.

I don't think that age has anything to do with it, it is your maturity level. I can think of several people who are much older than me and DH and they are not anywhere ready for a child. Now I feel better now that I got that out.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I am 23 as well and have faced some of the same crap (even from a friend when I told her I was pregnant - like what was I going to do about it at that point anyway?). It's frustrating and hard to ignore, but there's really nothing else to do. Some people just don't understand because your model of what is right for you isn't the same as the one they have (or had) for themselves. You and your DH know what is right for you and when you do get pregnant, other people will get on board as well. Sorry you've had to deal with this, I know it's frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad someone else understands! Thank you for that and letting me know I'm not crazy!

    ReplyDelete