I posted this on the GP board about a week ago, but I thought I would like to elaborate. The other day I was writing a letter to DH to send him since he is overseas. While writing that letter I told him I no longer wanted a baby, I wanted to be a mother.
When I was a little girl I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up and I said I wanted to be a mom. I told them I wanted a husband who worked in a suit, I would have a little boy who played soccer, a girl who was a ballerina, and I would do volunteer work. Strangely enough that is still my dream. I can still picture it in my head.
I think that wanting a baby is different than wanting to be a mother. To me wanting a baby is like saying I want a dog or some kind of accessory. They are nice for a while, but the newness wears off. I think when you say you want to be a mother that shows a maturity about you and your life. I think of those girls on 16 and pregnant, they are excited about their new "toy" their little baby. The sad reality of it is when they show them weeks later and they are exhausted from being up all night and they are miserable. They leave their child on the couch while they are fighting with their SO. They don't have the knowledge about raising their child or how to do it properly. I think when you are ready to be a mother you make efforts to learn how to do it properly, you learn how to care for your child because you want the best for them.
I told DH that I was ready to be a mother and I truly am ready. I care for my dogs like they are my children. My sister is needing a lot of help lately with her finances, so I've been taking care of her and she told me over the weekend that I'm going to be a great mother. That warmed my heart.
I'm off my soapbox now. I think that has been on my mind for a while now.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment